Friday, February 6, 2009

We've created a great-grandchild (and other ramblings)

I realized this morning that baby will be the first great-grandchild for my mother's parents and DH's mother's mother. (The rest of our grandparents have passed on.) For whatever reason, that added a whole dimension of reality for me and also added an even larger sense of responsibility for me. It also put things in additional perspective for me - this baby is going to part of our family; this baby will, for better or worse, consist of genes from our relatives - not just from us. Kind of obvious once I realized it, but it made things a bit more real.

My parents are coming to meet me for lunch today. It is so hard not to tell them! I am not quite ready yet, though, and I want DH around to share in the surprise anyway. DH said last night that he is nervous about telling my parents. I think that is really cute. I mean, we know they are going to be thrilled and so excited. The only thing that makes me a bit nervous about telling them is they way we tell them. I want to be memorable and to be a good story.

Rewinding a bit, when we found out we were pregnant, it was not exactly a storybook-worthy moment. We had decided in December to stop trying not to have a baby, that we would see what happens, but not actively try to conceive. Needless to say, it was a bit of a (wonderful!) surprise when I took a test and it was positive. That is why DH had such a hard time believing it. It has just been easy so far and we did not expect that. So, when the test was positive, we just kind of sat there, staring at it, staring at nothing, staring at each other. We hugged and smiled and said, "Wow," but, there was no jumping up and down or screaming in joy or anything. I want the moments we choose to tell our families to include some of that pomp. I want baby to have some good stories!

DH got home really late last night due to a meeting. When he got into bed, I asked him if he wanted to say, "Hi," to the baby. He placed his hand on my belly and said, "Hi, baby." He's a keeper. Good thing!

Speaking of good stories (haha), I was so sure I was going to vomit this morning. So sure, which only proves further that I have absolutely no clue what is going on in my body. I guess I also sort of - and I recognize this is twisted - want the morning sickness. A day or two of it will be plenty, thankyouverymuch, but I feel like it is a rite of passage. Plus, all this nausea should be leading to something, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment