Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Cravings would be a great alternative to gas

Food is good. The only time I do not feel nauseous is when I am eating. I am trying to eat incredibly healthily so that baby gets the best of all the nutrients and the least amount of chemicals possible. I am, however, a working babymamagonna be, so sometimes the on-the-go meals or snacks may not be perfect. Neither am I, perfect that is, so it is all okay.

I am fascinated by food though, and not just by the idea of eating it. When I decide I want something particular to eat, is it a craving? Or is it just me wanting something particular to eat? We are blessed to be able to afford the food we want or need, so I have always kind of asked myself what I feel like and eaten it.

So far, I associate cravings with something either really odd (the cliched pickles mixed with ice cream) or something I do not have readily available and will go to any length to get. By my (completely unscientific) definition, I have not yet had a craving.

Another thing - I have now realized that I can use the idea of a craving to get whatever I want whenever I want it. Don't feel like cooking? "Oh, DH, I am really in the mood for the spaghetti at Bertucci's tonight. Nothing else tastes like it." In the mood for a snack we don't have in the house? "Oh, DH, the baby really wants [insert missing snack here]. Would you pleeeease go get it for us?"

I would never actually do these things, but I like knowing the power is there if I want it. While I figure out if my definition of craving actually fits the bill, I am again feeling a bit gypped on the feeling pregnant side of things. Aren't cravings part of it all?

With that question, I realize that pregnancy is the one thing about which movies have really warped my opinion. I truly think that morning sickness showing in the form of vomiting and strong, true cravings are required to be pregnant. Much like with morning sickness and feeling that vomiting during pregnancy is a rite of passage, I feel like having and succumbing to a craving is a requirement of the with child club.

The gas, constipation, and sore breasts tell me otherwise. Well, I am off to peel a tangerine. Because I want one. But I don't have to have one...

No comments:

Post a Comment