Monday, February 2, 2009

First Neurotic Moment (of many, I'm sure)

Okay. So, I found out that I am pregnant on Sunday. On Saturday night, I went out to eat with DH and my parents. After debating between the rockfish and sea bass, I chose the sea bass because it was prepared "Hong Kong Style" and sounded yummy. It was.

Fast forward to Sunday. I get the BFP and (of course) go to thebump.com 1st Trimester message board. There I found a posting titled, "List of things not to eat?" Of course, when I clicked on the link within one of the responses, sea bass is on the list of foods to avoid due to high levels of mercury.

This morning (Monday), I call the restaurant that had the nerve to serve me the very sea bass I had ordered. I spoke with a manager who told me that it was wild caught sea bass from Chile and that the portions are 4-5 ounces. With that knowledge, I called the American Pregnancy Association, who told me that sea bass is not on the avoid list, but just on a moderation list that states no more than 3 servings of 6 ounces per month. They assured me that I (and baby) will be just fine.

I just may never eat fish (or at least sea bass) again.

No comments:

Post a Comment