Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Mama Genes and Mama Jeans

How do I know I have the mother gene? Everyone who knows me seems so confident that I will make a great mother. I recognize that I am a caring person to whom most people find it very easy to talk. I know that I have a pretty good sense of humor and can keep my cool when it counts. What does all of that really mean? Yes, I am intuitive, but does that mean I will know what my baby needs? Would not being able to distinguish the dirty diaper cry from the hungry cry make me less of a mom? Sure, I know how to change a diaper and bathe a youngun, but does that make me more ready to be a good mom than someone who has never done those things?

In the end, I think it does come down to having a mom gene. I also have to - choose to - believe that it is also a lot about the desire to be a good mom. I have decided - and keep telling myself - that I do not have to be perfect... just good enough. Okay, so I want to be a little better than good enough, but I do not expect perfection from myself, my husband, or my child. Is that not a step on the road to "good" in terms of momminess? Sure hope so.

Now onto mommy jeans. I am not wearing them yet. I still have not gained any weight and that is plain weird. My waist is six - SIX! - inches thicker than before getting pregnant and yet I weigh less. Go figure. I have looked at those mommy jeans, though, and I have to say that they do not look so bad. Elastic instead of denim digging into my waist? CHECK!

No comments:

Post a Comment